Join acclaimed artist Sandy Harper for a full day of plein air painting on the picturesque Cape Newagen peninsula!
Newagen Seaside Inn is pleased to host a series of one-day plein air oil painting retreats
conducted by Maine artist, Sandy Harper. For over thirty years the beauty of Maine has inspired Sandy to paint its seascapes, coastal villages, lighthouses, and inland landscapes.
Recognized for her masterful Maine seascapes and landscapes Sandy’s paintings are rendered in a realistic style reflecting her deep appreciation of the light, shapes and colors found in nature. As a result of much time spent in the mid-coast area, Newagen, Southport Island, Boothbay Harbor and its environs are frequently featured in her work.
July 1st, 2019
September 30th, 2019
Newagen Seaside Inn
- Lectures/instruction to the group and individually
- Demonstrations on plein air painting techniques
- One-on-one attention to each student
- End-of-day art critiques of the work
- Oceanview accommodations with breakfast
- Lunch and afternoon snack
Students/participants must bring:
- Supplies: paint, brushes, canvas or panels, solvents, paper, pencils, rags, paper towels, etc.
- Easel, stool/chair
- Tip sheet will be provided to students on plein air painting – 6 weeks prior to retreat
- Recommended supply list provided – 6 weeks prior to retreat
- 9-10am – Greeting, lecture/demo
- 10am-12pm – Painting
- 12-1pm – Lunch
- 1-3pm – Painting
- 3-4pm – Critique and wrap up
Retreat including accommodations:
- 1 person – $325 (1 night / double occupancy in a Classic or Double Room, includes day workshop for 1 person)
- 2 people – $475 (1 night / double occupancy in a Classic or Double Room includes day workshop for 2 people)
- 1 person – $289 (1 night / double occupancy in a Classic or Double Room, includes day workshop for 1 person)
- 2 people – $439 (1 night / double occupancy in a Classic or Double Room, includes day workshop for 2 people)
Day workshop only:
- $150 (per person for workshop from 9am-4pm)
Call to reserve your spot in the day workshop only – 207 633 5242.
Sandy Harper Bio
Beginning at a very young age Sandy showed an unusual love of art. As a youngster in New Jersey she studied oil painting from master teachers Arthur Maynard and Alban Albert at the Barn, Ridgewood Art Institute. Later as a teenager she was a frequent exhibitor in the Western New York art show circuit receiving numerous awards and prizes over the years. As a young professional artist Sandy’s work focused on landscapes and seascapes of the New England and Caribbean regions.
Her work has been exhibited in multiple New York, Massachusetts and Maine locations; and, has been on display in private collections in Maine, Maryland, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Texas, California, Florida, Colorado, Pennsylvania and New York City.
In 2000 she enlarged the size and scope of her work as she moved to the role of set designer and scenic artist. Her enormous full stage canvases and sets have enthralled audiences in classical ballet productions, musical theater and variety shows.
In late 2013 Sandy embraced her passion for art, retired from her long and successful career in public finance, and rededicated herself full time to her art. Preferring oil as a medium Sandy continues to paint nature in the style of traditional realism as taught to her by her early masters. Through her focused use of light and color she captures the pure energy, serene or dynamic, of the place.
While making frequent pilgrimages to the beloved rugged coast and the western mountains of Maine, since 1988 Sandy has lived and worked in rural central Maine where she has her studio. Sandy is an Artist Member of the Boothbay Region Art Foundation and an Associate Member of the Oil Painters of America. Her work is currently on exhibit at a number of galleries in Maine. Her paintings and prints can be viewed online at her website: https://www.sandyharperpaintings.com .
During the 2019 season Sandy’s paintings will be on display throughout Newagen Seaside Inn, as well as, at a number of galleries in Maine.
Book Your Retreat to the Coast of Maine and Experience Plein Air Painting in the Most Serene Setting at Newagen Seaside Inn!